Thursday, November 10, 2016

My spot at the VA & A Thank You to Veterans

     During my dad's illness, we made numerous trips to the VA hospital in Columbia, MO.   Sometimes we were in the ER, sometimes the step down unit, and many times the 4th floor.  We got to know so many healthcare professionals at that hospital.  They knew us by name.  We knew them.  Doctors, nurses, and techs; Jamel and Rho to name a few.

     We got to see so many other veterans, say hi, offer food to their families; and they would offer food to us.  Why?  Because the 4th floor waiting room became our residence.   Where we would stay night after night waiting for dad's numbers to return to normal, so he and we could go home.  The furniture in those hospitals are not comfortable.  But this particular chair folded out to a bed.  I slept on it more times than I can count.  Always remembering how uncomfortable it was.   God how I long to be at the VA, in the 4th floor waiting room, in MY spot, because it would mean my daddy was still here.   That's selfish, I know.   I wish it was easy to say, and I try to force myself to mean it when I say it's ok he isn't here.  He is in no more pain.  He is with the Lord, and I am thankful.  I miss him terribly.  But I would give anything to just have one more kiss goodnight, one more nose crinkle, one more "will you shut up", one more time to hear him call  me his yellow butterfly armadillo lady. Just one more.......


     I know we are not made for life on earth, but eternity in Heaven.   I know we are here for the blink of an eye.  I just pray God continues to pick up the pieces of my broken heart and put it back together again.  I'm numb, and I can't stand it.   I am a problem solver; and God put a problem in my path I couldn't solve.  I have no resolve.  I feel like I've failed.  Failed at what I don't know, but failed.  "What if's" and "why didn't I's" keep popping into my mind, and I just can't seem to shake them.  This may seem silly to some, but remembering my spot at the VA just might be a glimpse of or God reminding me; He is saving me a spot in Heaven.  It has to be........it just has to be.

My dad was a Vietnam veteran.  Proud Navy Seabee.

For all the veterans who are well, I thank you.

For all the veterans at the VA, I thank you.

For all those who made the ultimate sacrifice, I thank you.

To all the veterans who stopped to talk and share stories with my dad; or to complain about the travel pay lines......I thank you!

There are not enough words to describe my thanks.

I honor you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment